Green Space at Malagueira
With an area of 108,230 m2 is currently the largest green area of the city, with an extensive and continuous meadow, crossed by two water lines. Features several zones from the more formal "Jardim dos Socalcos", to the Lake area and Jardim da Memória, destined to informal use.
Green Space at Vila Lusitano
Informal urban greenspace of 32,890 m2, between Vila Lusitano and Bairro da Torregela, with an extensive meadow, quite wooded, crossed by Ribeira da Torregela. Includes a space for games and Recreation
Space with 17.978 m2 at the civil parish of Bacelo, with zones designed for recreation and activities, rest and lazier. Green areas are extensive and continuous, with a kiosk / bar / terrace, in the highest zone established as a viewing point. Other places of interest are the sports center and the gravel zone for jogo da malha (a traditional game similar to quoits.)
Garden of Diana
In the extension of Largo do Conde de Vila Flor, in close dialogue with the Roman Temple, stands the Garden of Diana. Overlooking the houses of Mouraria, it offers a privileged view over the Alentejo plain. Humble, of orthogonal design with well-defined tree alignments, this garden is sought as a place to be and for contemplation, in the city. All around, clinging to the whitewashed walls, the sweethearts still remain. A sculpture alluding to lovers marks the center of the viewing point, under the freshness of the fountain and the calm sound of falling water. It is said that on summer afternoons the breeze that runs is the most refreshing in the city. The shade is provided by spontaneous trees of Portuguese flora. Nettle trees line the paths and common ash trees emphasize the centrality of the space where the monument with the bust of Dr. Francisco Barahona, great benefactor of the city of Évora, stands. The viewing point with unique characteristics in the urban fabric, invites you to a long gaze, over the white city.
The creation of the current Public Garden between 1863 and 1867 was a municipal initiative in the land that previously had been the former royal palace garden and the convent of S. Francisco and others and at the time, allocated to the army. It was conceived by the Italian architect and set designer José Cinatti (1808-1879), who also conducted the work of archaeology and gardening. The garden design embodies the romantic ideal, in nineteenth-century gardens, and the function of social space for elites and rising classes. The public garden has an area of 3.3 hectares densely wooded especially with exotic species. Features the characteristics of gardens of this period: the "organic" design, the set of ornamental elements, the taste for exotic vegetation and the evocation of times past through the presence of "feigned ruins".
Bandstand: built in 1887 was an indispensable element in the gardens of this period. For many decades musical concerts were frequent.
D. Manuel Palace: National Monument, dating from the 16th century and probably, the architectural remnant of the well-known Galeria das Damas of the Royal Palace adjoining the convent of S. Francisco. The architects Arrudas, Chanterene and Diogo de Torralva worked in the gallery (what remains of the imposing fifteenth-century building) where there are still architectural elements of hybridism, peculiar to the Gothic-Manueline-Mudejar and the Renaissance. In the palace - according to some chroniclers - Vasco da Gama was invested by King Manuel I, in 1497, in the position of commander of the ships that left in the discovery of the maritime route to India. In its Halls, master Gil Vicente represented seven of his Autos (plays), dedicated to the queens D. Maria of Castile and D. Catherina of Austria ..
This romantic-inspired scenographic construction known as "Feigned Ruins" was designed by José Cinatti. In its conception, architectural materials from the ruins of various civil and religious monuments of the city were used. Manueline-Mudéjar style twinned windows were especially used, perhaps because they represented the romantic imagery, associated with the contemplation and nostalgia of the Portuguese Discoveries, and in particular the reign of King Manuel I. The Feigned Ruins, integrated in a tower and section of the medieval wall (15th century), and close to the Palace D. Manuel (16th century), were an integral part of the overall design of the Public Garden, also designed by Cinatti as a space of leisure and pastoral contemplation according to the "progressive" ideas of the late second half of the nineteenth century.
Garden of Paraíso
In Portas de Moura Square, between the streets of Machede and Mendo Estevens, stands the Garden of Paraíso. With an area of 1730 m2, this garden is structured by two pedestrian paths that intersect and from where all its design and geometry flows. These define the location of five raised beds that sustain all the plant life of the place, defining a central area with places to sit down, elements of water, benches and a kiosk. Here, shade and comfort set the tone, the variety of plant species appeals to the senses by contrast. Volumes, textures, colours or even the calm of the water, increase the pleasure of staying and the fruition of the place. The smooth, harmonious crowns of the melias, the elegant verticality of the upright cedars, the coarse texture of the leafy maple, the delicacy and transparency of casuarinas and bastard pepper, also the colours that punctuate the garden, white of the philadelphus, the rose of the loendro, the purple of the prunus, the lilac of the melias and even the various shades of green, of the brachychitons, lindens, robinias and also the lawn, confer the garden a unique and attractive ambiance for a longer stay.
Garden of Bacelo
Garden located between Rua do Viveiro and Avenida Fernando Pessoa, with an area of 3780 m2, in a residential area. The space is subdivided transversally, by two streets. It is essentially constituted by grassy areas punctuated with some trees, benches and chairs. It is designed for informal recreation, walking and social gatherings. The largest of the three areas has a small square with an element of water.
Largo do Chão das Covas (square)
Largo do Chão das Covas is located north of Praça do Giraldo in the civil parish of São Mamede, flowing harmoniously in the urban fabric, framed by the charm of the Aqueduct of Água da Prata in Rua do Cano and Rua do Escudeiro da Roda. The central part has an area of 726.5 m2, where alternating sets of medium-sized tree species, koelreuteria paniculado – Golden rain tree, and ligustrum lucidum – Broad-leaf privet, can be found as well as supporting urban furniture, which endow the place with dynamism and strengthens its character as a place of social gathering and fruition. Largo do Chão das Covas is not only a leisurely place, but also a versatile place that supports small fairs and markets, which diversifies its potential for socialization. It is also worth mentioning the presence of architectural elements of high monumental and aesthetic value, such as the "Aqueduto da Água da Prata" and the 17th century fountain.
Largo de Avis (square)
Located north of Praça do Giraldo in the civil parish of São Mamede, there it is Largo de Avis (square), adjoining one of the main arteries of the city within Walls, of the same name. The street "drains" into the physical memory of the medieval Archway of Avis, what confirms the richness and cultural diversity in the history of urban development of the city. The Largo de Avis offers the visitor, a more intimate zone of rest where the three vegetal extracts, represented by repeated Sóforas (Kowhay trees), shrubs of different volumes and textures, hedges of Privets (ligustro) or herbaceous plants, supported by the centrality of the fountain, such as if involving the space, produce a particular ambience, that partially assures a visual and sound barrier to the outside life. So this space invites for its freshness and calm, and challenges you to watch and participate, in a joyful and pleasant dialogue between shade and sun, almost isolated from the surrounding sunny reality.
Largo das Alterações (square)
West of Giraldo Square, at the end of Serpa Pinto street, in full contemplation of Alconchel's Gateway, is the Largo das Alterações. It is a discreet space, usually enjoyed by local residents , who remain there for a few hours in the day, sitting on the granite benches enjoying either the sun or the shade provided by rows of Ashleaf maple trees (Acer negundo). The square is set in a central rectangular area, paved in uneven limestone where the tree beds and fixed benches mark the boundaries of the space and define the gathering and socializing area where outside sitting areas from the surrounding cafes are also set.
Largo dos Penedos (square)
Largo dos Penedos is located west from Giraldo Square and in the extension of the streets Frei Braz and Cal Branca. The remarkable presence of a huge and leafy Platanus, gives to the space, a daily, permanent shadow. The square is not conducive to stay or rest, either by the absence of equipment or by being a parking zone.