The Hermitage of São Brás, located outside the walls at Rossio de São Brás, was built by King João II where once existed a small temporary leprosarium made of wood, designed to treat people affected by the plague that ravaged the country in 1479 -80. The people of Évora, the king and the Bishop D. Garcia de Meneses, the executor of the work, thus showed their devotion to St. Brás, the saint to whom they usually prayed when an epidemic arose. The work, whose ecclesiastical permission dates from September 7, 1480 will have begun in 1482, and the chapel was already open to worship in 1490 (ESPANCA, Túlio, 1966). The monument, designed by an unknown master, is particularly innovative in the use of a Manueline-Mudejar style typically from the Alentejo, with a succession of robust volumes staggered and crowned by merlons, inaugurating in the city the use, later widely disseminated in monuments throughout the Alentejo, of architectural elements such as the cylindrical buttresses with conical pinnacles (PEREZ EMBID, Florentino, 1955, p.134). Together with the churches of Lóios and S. Francisco, this temple marks the introduction of the late Gothic in Évora.
Address: Avenida Dr. Francisco Barahona 1,7005-150 Évora
- Weekdays, 10 am to 1 pm and 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Sundays, 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.