It is located in the block of the streets of Burgos and Alcárcova de Cima, the building known as Noble House of the Street of Burgos where, since the end of the last century, the Regional Delegation of Culture of the Alentejo has been housed. This is one of the many buildings that were erected near the Acropolis due to the installation in the city of several families of the Court, when it was here settled headquarters and arraial during long periods of 16th century.
With the later royal stampede the house was appropriated by the Cabido da Sé, passing the residence of the canons of the diocese, of which the last appears to have been José Joaquim Nunes de Melo, who lived from 1740 to 1820. By that time the front of the building had its present features, and lazily extended down the street, with which it communicates through a ground floor where a staircase leads to the top floor, considered the most noble.
The nationalization of the Church's assets led to the passing of State ownership and the sale, over a few decades, of the wealthy farmer, politician and poet José Carlos Gouveia (1844-1908). This man, who was, among other things, Counselor of the Kingdom, Civil Governor and Mayor of the House, used it as a residence in the city, since previously he had as sole residence Quinta do Chantre, where he was born and would also die.
The new owner undertook extensive improvements in the building, resorting in large part to the inclusion of elements from the recently demolished Convent of Paradise, amidst the tiles of the staircase dating from the 18th century, and several cushioned doors and interior ceilings in worked oak wood. The work carried out also included the opening of a new access gate, the configuration of which remains at present.
The descendants of José Carlos Gouveia occupied the house until, around the 90's of the last century, they decided to sell it to the State, interested in its historical and artistic value. In the noble mansion it was decided to install the Regional Directorate of Culture of the Alentejo, that previously was based in a slender, discreet and limited property in Praça Joaquim António de Aguiar.
During the process of renovation of the building was found a Roman "domus", from the 2nd century d.C., embedded in its subsoil and resting on the Fence and visible at the rear of the building that leads to Rua da Alcárcova de Cima, presenting remarkable fresco paintings unknown in the sphere of Portuguese art of the time. To these findings were also added vestiges of the Islamic occupation. Meanwhile the building brought together a small tower, 4.5 by 5.2 meters in base, belonging to the ancestral old fence, which in its oldest wing houses the current Exhibition Gallery and where Gothic Mudejar demonstrations, such as vaults starry windows, ajimez windows and horseshoe arches.
During the short XVI Constitutional Government (July 2004 to February 2005), presided over by Pedro Santana Lopes, the building temporarily housed the Secretary of State for Cultural Goods, transferred to Évora as part of a failed attempt at cultural decentralization. In 2009, as part of the process of urban regeneration called "Acropolis XXI", the Noble House of Burgos Street was the target of a new architectural intervention, in an investment valued at around 130,000 euros. It was commissioned by the architect José Filipe Ramalho, who rehabilitated it, adapting it to new and correct uses that are already in the forge.