The Santa Casa da Misericórdia (Holy House of Mercy) of Évora was established in December 1499 and originally located in the Chapel of St. John the Baptist in the Church of St. Francis.
The current church was founded in the mid-16th century. Built in Mannerist style, with a rococo portal adorned with the royal arms of Portugal (1775). Single nave of rectangular plant in a sumptuous and ornamental baroque style and the walls lined with historical tiles the authorship attributed to A. Oliveira Bernardes. Overlapping painted panels by José Xavier de Castro. The main chapel has an imposing altarpiece in polychrome carving, and a solomonic, baroque style colonnade.