Church of São Tiago


Extinct parish and royal collegiate, still existing in 1302. Underwent deep architectural reform  in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, leaving some earlier elements (the original presbytery, and the Manueline chamfered battlements on the top).
On the outside a whitewashed facade of thick masonry with a simple portal flanked by two towers with a pediment illuminated by the equestrian figure of Santiago fighting the Moors; laterally there is an oratory from 1722.
The interior consists of a wide nave with wall murals and canvas paintings, on the  side elevations of the nave there are ashlars of narrative tiles  attributed to  Gabriel del Barco, and a gilded altarpiece in the chancel (XVIII century).
Largo de São Tiago

Additional Contents