Like other theaters built in the 19th century, the construction of the Garcia de Resende Theater resulted from an initiative of the local elites, destined to contain the unemployment and the resulting criminality. The great owner José Ramalho Dinis Perdigão energized the creation of a Society and, on October 31, 1881, the first stone was launched.
Only in 1890, however, the Theater would be ready to function, after several setbacks, among them the death, in 1884, of Ramalho Perdigão. The widow, D. Inacia Fernandes de Barahona, later came to marry the worthy Dr. Francisco Barahona, who continued the work.
The finishes would, moreover, be influenced by their exquisite taste, because they hired, for this purpose, a team of painters and craftsmen of great quality. Luigi Manini, owner of S. Carlos, collaborated in the endowment of the scene and in the realization of the cloth of mouth.
The Garcia de Resende Theater would be inaugurated on June 1, 1892, in the presence of the infant D. Afonso, with a play by E. Schwalbach, "The Intimate", brought to the scene by the D. Maria II Theater Company.
In 1941, a gale blew it, and, having remained so throughout the winter, the paintings were damaged. In addition, during the recovery work, the interior lead coating of the cover was stolen, guaranteeing thermal and acoustic insulation. In 1943, the Chamber leased it as theater and cinema, authorizing changes in the audience, which was disposed of. In 1969, a disastrous intervention irreversibly altered its original image (main façade).
The Theater came to be used as a garbage dump, until, in 1975, following the Carnation Revolution, it was occupied by the Évora Cultural Center, which from there began the first experience of theatrical decentralization. But after profound reforms carried out by the municipality over the last 20 years, it remains today as a cultural space of reference, managed by CENDREV – Dramatic Center of Évora.
The Garcia de Resende Teather is included in the European Route of Historic Theatres.
Address: Praça Joaquim António Aguiar, Évora, Portugal
Phone: +351 266 777 000
Owner: Câmara Municipal de Évora / Culture and Heritage Division