25 January 2015

Évora Aqueduct, Green path

The Aqueduct of Água da Prata (literally Silver Water) was the most important hydraulic structure constructed in Portugal during the 16th century.

​​aguadapratalogo.jpg

The Aqueduct of Água da Prata (literally Silver Water) was the most important hydraulic structure constructed in Portugal during the 16th century.

The innumerable conservation works made over time were not suficient to ensure an appropriate and regular supply of public water to the city, a situation which was only resolved with the great reform initiated in 1873, which gave the Aqueduct its current appearance between S. Bento de Cástris and Metrogos. 

The Aqueduct still fulfils its function today, contributing to the flow of water supply the city.

In addition to the monumental arcade, classified as a National  Monument (1910), the Aqueduct is an immense construction  approximately 19 km long, from the spring of Divor to the  interior of the city. Of this total distance, the green path which has currently been created presents the essential of the  sixteenth and nineteenth century construction works, over a  distance of 8.3 km between the Convent of Cartuxa and the  road of Arcos do Divor. Combining heritage, historical and  technical aspects with the surrounding landscape, uncommonly  beautiful and diversied, this project presents a double attraction, both as a centre for public benefit as well as a tourist resource for the city.

To know more see the documents in annexe.